This chicken is so delicious it is almost addicting — hence the name. The name came to me when I was sitting in my kitchen trying to think of what to call this dish, that quickly became a social media favorite. When I found myself picking on the cold leftovers, it hit me…Crack Chicken!
Now, I understand that picking on leftovers may not seem so crazy to many of you (a lot of my clients come to me with a habit of picking, see Mind-Blowing Secrets To Weight Loss) but for those who know me well, know that my husband Dan loves leftovers, I on the other hand, do not. However, all bets are off when it comes to this dish…Dan better hope he packs his lunch for work before I do because when it comes to this General Tso’s inspired chicken dish, GAME ON — he’s got some competition.
Fortunately we can all afford to get a little bit carried with my version since it is made with white meat chicken, less sugar and without the use of added fats. Suffice it to say, the same can’t be said for the traditional version of this Asian restaurant fan favorite. And while we are on the subject, don’t hate me for divulging – ignorance is not bliss — rings in at 960 calories and 45 grams of fat for a measly 4 ounce serving (most people will eat 1300 calories worth in a restaurant…just saying).
What is also amazing about this dish is that it only takes about 4 hours in the slow cooker. So you can still fit in your spin class, go food shopping for the ingredients if they aren’t stocked in your fridge or pantry, and as long as the slow cooker is set by 2:00, dinner will be ready to serve by 6:00. And I am not talking about any dinner here. It quickly becomes the ideal meal trifecta when served with steamed broccoli and brown rice or my “Unfried” Rice . And when you make it you will also quickly see that it is truly one of the most delicious and decadent tasting dinners ever.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds), chopped into bite size pieces
- ½-3/4 cup corn starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce/tamari
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (leave out if serving kids)
- steamed brown rice or my "unfried" rice for serving
- Place corn starch, salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and pepper in a ziplock bag and shake to combine.
- Add chicken pieces to the bag. Seal and shake to coat chicken.
- Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Add coated chicken pieces to pan. Saute 1-2 minutes until browned. (It chicken will still be raw in the middle at this point, that's okay)
- In a bowl combine all sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Add half of the sauce to the crockpot along with chicken pieces. Mix to combine Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Immediately before serving, Add remaining sauce to the crockpot and stir gently.
- Serve with brown rice or my "Unfried" Rice
Mind-Blowing Secrets to Weight Loss (subscribe to receive them)