Winter…Not my favorite season; however there are a few things I do look forward to when the weather turns cold. In no particular order they are, winter boots (cute ones), slow cooker cooking, and anticipating a snow day.
Usually during the winter months my slow cooker takes up permanent residence on my kitchen counter. And on those looming snow days I take out a few choice pantry staples, defrost whatever extra lean ground meat that is in my freezer, and using my mini food processor I chop up a few mainstay fridge vegetables and make my slow cooker chili.
Why? Because there is nothing like a bowl of hot chili on a cold day — and nothing quite so healthy and simple to make. This chili is packed with vegetables, high fiber beans and extra lean protein. Did I mention delicious too?
A fun little activity to do with kids or even for guests it to set up a “chili bar” with all of the add-ins that make chili that much more delicious. Think small bowls of low fat shredded cheeses, fat free sour cream, baked tortilla chips, and diced onions, tomatoes, avocado, scallions, and peppers. My husband Dan likes it with more of a kick so he adds some hot sauce or some extra chili powder. YUM!!!!
So be gone the days where snow days (or Super Bowl Sunday) = overeating (AKA “cheat days”). MANAGE YOUR SPLURGES. Make some chili, eat mindfully, get satisfied, and save a little room for a sweet treat if the desire strikes.
P.S. The recipe can be doubled or even tripled if you have a slow cooker that is large enough
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey (or you can use extra lean beef or white meat ground chicken)
- ¾ up diced onion
- ¾ cup diced celery
- ¾ cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can tomato puree
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, WITH LIQUID
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained
- ¼ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon dried basil
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Place the ground turkey in the skillet and cook until evenly browned.
- Place the ground turkey in a slow cooker, and mix in the onion, celery, carrots, garlic tomato puree, and beans. Season with the remainder of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on LOW.