Snacks, everyone has a different opinion of what they are and what they should be. But one thing is for sure, if you are truly hungry for a snack you will need something to satisfy the level of hunger you are feeling so that you can get to your next meal, not overeat at that meal and ensure that you are able to make the most appropriate choice possible. (subscribe to learn more hunger and hunger cues in the “7 Mind-Blowing Secrets to Weight Loss”)
The specifics of what a snack will consist of will differ from one day to the next depending on what you are in the mood for, what is available, and your environment. However, for a snack to be truly satisfying it is important for it to consist of a combination of carbohydrate and protein.
Vegetables are fine, go ahead and incorporate them but they usually won’t satisfy true hunger or satisfy one for very long if they aren’t combined with protein and/or carbohydrates. A good example of this is an after school snack. Children often eat lunch at around 11:30, sometimes even earlier. When they get home at 4:00 they are starving. Carrot sticks and pepper strips alone, as awesome as they are, just ain’t gonna cut it. Give them something heartier, maybe some hummus with a toasted whole wheat pita with some carrot sticks on the side.
Below is a list of snacks that have proven time and time again to be delicious, satisfying, and calorically responsible so that you can reach and maintain your goals. You may be shocked to learn that each and every snack is under 200 calories!
|3/4 cup fat free plain yogurt + 1 kiwi + 2 sliced strawberries||4 tablespoons hummus + 1 small whole wheat pita||2 brown rice cakes + 1 tablespoon peanut butter||3/4 cup fat free or 1% cottage cheese + 1 pear|
|2 brown rice cakes + 1/2 cup whipped cottage cheese + 1 cup reduced sugar jelly||3/4 cup fat free plain yogurt + 1/4 cup blueberries + 1 Nature Valley Granola Bar||1 part skim cheese stick + apple||2 brown rice cakes + 1/3 cup whipped cottage cheese + 3/4 cup pineapple chunks|
|1 apple + 1 tablespoon peanut butter||banana quesadilla (see recipe below)||3/4 cup favorite cereal + 1/4 cup skim milk + 1/4 cup blueberries||3/4 cup fat free no sugar added Greek yogurt + 1 Nature Valley Bar|
|Apple + 1 ounce of low fat cheese slices||banana + 1 tablespoon peanut butter||banana + PB2 (3 tablespoons PB2 according to directions on package)||10 strawberries halved + 2 Laughing Cow Light cheese|
|orange + low fat cheese stick||1 tablespoon peanut butter + 6 graham crackers||4 tablespoons hummus + 1 serving of pretzel crisps||Pizzadilla (see recipe below|
|1 light whole grain toasted English muffin + 1 tablespoon peanut butter + drizzle honey||3 ounces smoked turkey + 1 green apple||3/4 cup fat free plain yogurt + 1 tablespoon chocolate chips + 4 sliced strawberries||20 pistachios + banana|
|Turkey and Apple sandwich (see recipe below)||1 whole wheat bagel think + 1/2 cup whipped cottage cheese||10 medium olives + 1 ounce of reduced fat or fat free feta cheese cubed||1 ounce part skim mozzarella cheese + grape tomatos drizzled with balsamic glaze|
|2.5 ounce Green Light Chicken Salad + 15 grapes||1 cup of melon balls + 3/4 cup fat free no sugar added vanilla or plain greek yogurt||Quesadilla (see recipe below)||100 calorie pack of avocado/guacamole (mixed with salsa if desired) + whole wheat sandwich thin toasted|
|1 whole grain waffle (such as Van's) + 1 tablespoon peanut butter||15 almonds + 1/2 cup cereal||1 cup fat free greek yogurt + 1/2 cup cereal||1 tablespoon peanut butter + whole wheat deli flat + reduced sugar jelly|
|1 ounce of jarlsberg light cheese + 1 serving whole wheat crackers||2 Laughing Cow Light spreadable cheese triangles + toasted whole wheat sandwich thin||1 whole grain English muffin + 1 hard boiled egg||1 cup tomato soup (without cream) + 1/2 Grilled Cheese Sandwich (see recipe below)|
- 2 slices reduced calorie whole wheat bread or deli thin (80-100 calories)
- 2½ ounces Smoked Turkey
- ½ small green apple sliced thin
- 1 slice of fat free cheese (optional)
- Dijon Mustard (optional)
- Spread mustard on the bread, if using
- Layer turkey and green apple slices on one slice of bread
- Place other piece of bread on top of the turkey and apple layers
- Cooking Spray
- 1 whole wheat tortilla (about 50-80 calories)
- ¼ cup fat free shredded mozzarella cheese (pizzadilla) or fat free cheddar cheese (quesadilla)
- ½ cup marinara sauce (pizzadilla) or ½ cup salsa (quesadilla)
- Spray a pan with cooking spray
- Place a tortilla in the pan over medium to low head
- Spread ½ of the tortilla with cheese of choice
- Spread the other ½ of the tortilla with sauce or salsa
- As cheese begins to melt fold the cheese side over the sauce/salsa side
- As it continues to heat flip over until cheese is completely melted and tortilla is brown
- Cut into 3 triangles
- Cooking Spray
- I Can’t Believe It Is Not Butter Spray
- 2 slices of reduced calorie whole wheat bread
- 2 slices fat free cheese
- 2 slices of tomato (optional)
- Spray a frying pan with Cooking Spray. Turn stove on to medium-low.
- Spray one side of each piece of bread with I Can’t Believe It Is Not Butter Spray
- Place one slice of bread buttered side down on the frying pan.
- Place cheese on non-buttered side
- Top the cheese with the other slice of bread, buttered side up
- Flip Sandwich over after 4 minutes or when cheese starts to melt
- Heat for an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and bread is browned.
- Remove from Pan.
- 1 whole wheat tortilla (50-80 calories)
- ½ ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (or your favorite nut or nut-free butter)
- a few chocolate chips (optional)
- Mash banana in a bowl with a fork or potato masher
- Spread the mashed banana on one side of the tortilla and on the other side spread the peanut butter. Sprinkle with chocolate chips of using.
- Fold the peanut butter side over the banana side.
- Warm in the microwave for 20 seconds