Frozen margaritas are a delicious summer cocktail that many adults enjoy. They are not too sweet, not too sour, and contain more than 500 calories. Wait? What? You ask. Yep you read right. A traditional frozen strawberry margarita, or any frozen blender drink for that matter, qualifies as a caloric bomb containing anywhere from 500-900 calories per cocktail.
Not being one to rain on anyone’s fiesta, I have a simple, quick and delicious recipe for a frozen strawberry margarita that will help you rein in the calories and stick to your goals. My recipe contains 140 calories per serving; significantly less than anything you will find in a pre-made mix or bar made cocktail.
What’s more? The frozen strawberries and peaches serve double duty. They naturally thicken and add sweetness to the cocktail, limit the need to add more ingredients and calories from added sugars. Now that is “Cooking In Heels”…with a cocktail, for you!
Have fun! And if you choose to drink alcohol make sure to drink responsibly.
- 10 medium frozen strawberries
- ½ of a 15 oz. can of canned peaches in light syrup or water
- 2 ounces tequila
- ½ ounce triple sec
- ½ cup crushed ice
- 6 ounces diet sprite or lemon-lime seltzer
- Garnish (optional):
- Wedge of lime
- Coarse Salt
- Mexican chili powder
- Slice of a lime
- Place all ingredients except garnish in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour contents of the blender into a glass and enjoy.
- Garnish (optional): Moisten the rim of a glass with a lime wedge. Put a mixture of course salt or coarse salt mixed with Mexican chili powder in a shallow bowl. Dip the rim of the glass in the mixture to coat evenly. If garnishing the glass, garnish the rim, pour contents of the blender into the glass, and then continue to garnish with lime wedge.