There are 3 reasons why I wanted to make a healthy fried rice recipe. The first reason is because my family and I love fried rice but at 360 calories and 14 grams of fat per cup, I do not love all of the calories and fat that comes along with it. The second reason is that my family loves rice but we tire of plain brown rice. Last but not least, I wanted to find something to do with the leftover rice from Chinese takeout.
White, brown or jasmine rice, your choice, depending on taste and preference but the rice must be day old (or up to 3 day old) cooked rice. Why? Because just cooked rice is moist, steamy and fluffy, all of which is delicious to eat but not good for fried rice. If used, this would result in a clumpy fried rice, yuck!. We have all seen rice that is day old, it is dried, a bit hard and crumbly. This is what you want when making fried rice at home. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do.
Serves: 6 (3/4 cups servings)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup egg beaters or 4 egg whites
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup uncooked carrots, shredded
- 1 cup uncooked scallions, sliced, divided
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; warm pan over medium-high heat. Add egg beaters or egg whites; tilt the pan so that eggs cover bottom.
- When eggs start to set, break them up into pieces with a heat-proof spatula or wooden spoon. Cook until eggs are cooked through, about 1 minute more; remove eggs from skillet and set aside.
- Off heat, recoat same skillet with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Add carrots and all but 2 tablespoons scallions; sauté until carrots are crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes, add water or broth slowly if necessary to cook vegetables.
- Stir in cooked rice, peas and soy sauce; cook until heated through, stirring once or twice, about 1 minute.
- Gently stir in cooked egg and remaining scallions; heat through. Remove from heat.
- Mix in sesame oil and serve.